Thursday, August 18, 2011

Coconut Cheesecake

I LOVE coconut; so when I saw this cheesecake recipe on The Novice Chef blog, I knew I had to try it. My recipe is different because I wanted to make mini cheesecakes to bring to work. I didn't want too much tempting dessert in the house. Check out The Novice Chef blog for the original (which includes a recipe for coconut whipped cream topping which I didn't make). My recipe is different that hers, but I used hers as a base.


Crust
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
4 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp shredded coconut
1 Tbsp melted butter

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Place paper liners in muffin tin.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, coconut, and melted butter. Stir until well mixed.
4. Scoop graham cracker mixture into each of the cupcake liners. Bake at 350F until lightly browned (approx 5-7 minutes).
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Cheesecake
1 package cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 Tbsp coconut milk (I used light, but I don't think it had enough flavor)
1/4 cup cream of coconut (YUM)

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese until smooth using either a spatula or hand mixer. Add in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat until well combined. Add in the egg and beat until well incorporated. Add the coconut milk and cream of coconut and beat until well incorporated.
3. Pour mixture into cupcake liners on top of the prebaked crust. Do not fill to top as they will rise slightly. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until the filling looks set. Remove and allow to cool.
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment