Friday, May 8, 2009

Shrimp and Grits

So I did eventually use the rest of the ricotta in a ricotta ice cream that I found a recipe for on Foodnetwork.com. I tried to make it low fat by using low fat ricotta and skim milk, and I came out horrible...I won't bore you with the details. Onto a delicious meal...

I love shrimp and I love grits. I have often heard people dreamily talking about how delicious they are together, but didn't think they made a good pair. One night my hubby and I were out to dinner at Stumps Supper Club in Channelside. I saw they had this dish on their menu, so I thought, why not...I'll try it. It was AMAZING!! One of the best meals I have had a restaurant...really THAT good. I am sure it was quite unhealthy.
I was recently reading the newspaper and came across a shrimp and grits recipe...so I thought I would try it out. I didn't have the recipe in front of me, so I cooked the grits according to the package (get the quick cooking and NOT the instant), added some salt and cheese. Then I cooked the shrimp in a little butter substitute, garlic and a splash of wine. Put them together and viola! Delish!!
Here is the recipe from the St Pete Times article

Cheesy Grits and Shrimp

3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick-cooking grits
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
For the shrimp:
4 or 5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sherry or white wine
2 pounds medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
To cook grits, bring water and salt to a boil. Pour in grits, stir and turn the heat to low. Stir regularly for about 7 minutes. Stir in pepper and cheese. Stir until cheese melts and set grits aside while shrimp cooks.
For shrimp, melt butter in medium-hot skillet. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sherry or wine and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is mostly pink. Turn off burner and let residual heat cook shrimp the rest of the way through.
In individual bowls, scoop out some grits and ladle shrimp with some of the juice on top.
Serves 4 to 5.

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment