Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Margarita Chicken

Chilis was having this awesome deal last week. $35 for an appetizer, 2 meals, 2 margaritas (top shelf I might add), and a dessert. My hubby really wanted to go, and although I looked forward to the yummy feast, I didn't want to go crazy with all of those calories (not such a good advertisement for Chilis, but I think I gained 2 pounds after eating all that yumminess). I usually go for the Chicken Fajitas, but decided instead to have the Margarita Grilled Chicken this time at the recommendation of the waiter. He said it wouldn't "weigh me down." Oh my it was SO delicious and I have been craving it ever since. That is why I decided to try to recreate it. Mine is not exactley like theirs. If you Google (or Bing, or Dogpile....whatever search you like to use) a copycat recipe, they use margarita mix. I wanted to avoid the temptation of having margarita mix in the house, so I decided to make it from scratch. The meal was very tasty! I will definitley make it again.

Margarita Chicken

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half NOTE- almost like butterflying, but seperate the pieces (to make them thinner so they cook more evenly and quicker)
Salt and pepper
Zest of 2 limes
Juice of 2 limes
1 Tbsp honey
1-2 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp triple sec (optional)
1 Tbsp tequila (optional)

1. In a large bowl, combine the zest, lime juice, honey, 1 tsp brown sugar, triple sec and tequila. Taste. If too sour, add more brown sugar and stir to combine.

2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in marinade and allow to marinate approximately 30 minutes.

3. Preheat grill (or grill pan which is what I used). Cook chicken until done.

I served mine over rice and beans (just like Chilis)!

No comments:

Post a Comment