Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sausage, White Bean, and Spinach Stew

I saw this recipe in the most recent issue of Womans Day magazine and thought it looked pretty good. I decided to make it for dinner tonight. It was so delicious! I made a few changes, which I will post at the end (mostly changes to suit the hubby's picker eater palate). You can make this low carb by using Dreamfields Pasta. Chcek them out here...http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/

Sausage, White bean, and Spinach Stew

1 Tbsp olive oil
12 oz cooked turkey Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 thick coins
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup dry white wine (I left this out)
32 oz chicken broth
4 oz (approx 1 cup) uncooked small pasta (I used elbows)
15 oz can of white beans, rinsed (I used great white northern beans)
10 oz raw spinach with thick stems removed (I used frozen spinach)
Parmesean cheese

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove sausage and set aside.
2. Add garlic to the pan and cook, but do not let brown. Add wine (if using, if not just skip this step) and allow to simmer for 1 minute.
3. Add broth and pasta and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer a few minutes less than recommended on package of pasta (eg- my elbows said to cook 8 minutes, so I simmered for 5 minutes).
4. Add beans, sausage and cook until heated through and pasta cooked. Remove from heat and stir in spinach until wilted.
Serve with parmesean.

I left out the wine because my hubby doesn't like cooking with wine. I also used frozen spinach (the hubby didn't want any spinach in his stew). I heated it in the microwave according to the directions and stirred a scoopful into my bowl along with my serving of soup.
This soup was a real hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment