Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crockpot Oatmeal

We had a baby shower breakfast for one of my co-workers a few weeks ago.  One of the girls brought this crockpot oatmeal.  It was SO good, I had 3 helpings.  If you make this and seperate into containers, it makes for a quick grab and go breakfast.  This is also a very versatile recipe.  You can add different fruits, flavorings, etc.   I am going to post how I made it and what I would change.
Also, note this will stick to your crock, but the part that sticks is SO yummy like an oatmeal cookie (so I enjoy this as a treat while I am cleaning up...LOL).

Crockpot Oatmeal

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)- you could also use steel cut oats
5 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup dried cherries

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook (High 3-4 hours, Low 6-8 hours)

Recipe notes
1. I cooked the dried cherries with the oatmeal which resulted in soft cherries.  While this was tasty, I think next time, I will add them after the cooking to only soften slightly or just serve when eating.
2. If you eat the oatmeal cold, it is very thick.  I like it this way, but if you don't, just stir in some milk.
3. You don't have to use Splenda.  If you want to omit, just use 1/2 cup brown sugar.
4. Have fun with this recipe.  You could add maple syrup, different spices.  I have seen recipes that use fresh apples.  Very versatile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment