Sunday, November 21, 2010

Au Gratin Potatoes

Mom made us a DELICIOUS ham for dinner and I was trying to think of something to go along with it. We had half of a bag (1.5 pounds) red skinned potatoes left from a dinner last week, so I decided to use them up. I didn't want to make mashed potatoes and risk us being tired of them by Thanksgiving. I decided to go with an au gratin potato dish. It was a hit!
Now my review, it called for a whole onion. While it was very tasty, I would prefer less onion, and I think it would be fine with even no onion. Just something you may want to keep in mind.

Au Gratin Potatoes

1.5 pounds potatoes (I used baby red potatoes and I left the skin on)- sliced to 1/4 inch thick slices
1 sweet onion (optional, or use less) diced
2 garlic cloves minced
3 Tbsp butter (I used Smart Taste margarine)
3 Tbsp flour
1/2- 1 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1.5 cups cheese (I used a mixture of colby-jack, american, and italian cheese)

1. Preheat the oven to 375F
2. Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased 1 quart casserole dish. Cover with onions and garlic. Cover with the rest of the potatoes.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk to combine. Cooke for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk until thickened (almost boiling- I usually have to turn my heat up, but if you do, make sure to whisk continuously). When thickened, add cheese and whisk until combined.
4. Pour cheese mixture over potatoes. Cover with foil and cook at 375F for 1 hour (or until potatoes are cooked through)

No comments:

Post a Comment