Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Our freezer was completely full and with Thanksgiving coming up, I needed to make space for my turkey. In the freezer was a half bag of frozen chicken breasts, so I decided to start there. Whenever I see a bag of frozen chicken breasts, a few meal ideas come to mind...chicken enchiladas, chicken parmesean, or stuffed chicken breasts. I was craving chicken enchiladas, so I decided to go with those. When I started getting everything together, I realized I didn't have a can of green chilis like the recipe calls for. I did notice though that we had a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilis, so I decided to use them. Usually I do not put tomatoes in my enchiladas, but I had no choice. It turned out delicious! I didn't feel like rolling the enchiladas because I was in a hurry, so I made a casserole. It was a hit!

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

1 can cream soup (we only had cream of celery and it worked fine, but I would recommend cream of chicken and I use low fat)
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I use low fat)
1 - 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breasts cubed
1 onion diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 package tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (I usually use sharp cheddar, but a mexican blend would work great as well)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Saute diced onions over medium heat until translucent. Add chili powder and stir to combine. Mix in cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes and heat through.
3. Meanwhile in a medium bowl, stir together sour cream and cream soup. Stir until well combined.
4. Add half or 2/3 of sour cream soup mixture to chicken and tomatoes. Stir well until combined. Heat through and remove from heat.
5. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the bottom of the dish with tortillas. Cover with chicken/tomato/cream mixture. Top with layer of tortillas. Spread remaining sour cream mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is melty.

No comments:

Post a Comment