Sunday, June 5, 2011

Basic Risotto

I got a recipe for risotto from Weight Watchers. I have been wanting to try risotto for so long. I am always seeing it made on cooking shows, but have never gotten around to trying it. Tonight, I was trying to put a few meals for the week together (otherwise I keep snacking while I cook and I am putting the pounds back on...urg) and decided to make the risotto. The original recipe calls for yummy asparagus, but I didn't have any, so I made a basic recipe to which you could probably add just about anything. I have seen risotto made with butternut squash, mushrooms, pancetta, etc. So consider this your base that you can add to as you like.

Basic risotto

Cooking spray
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 sweet onion or 3 small shallots, minced
1 cup uncooked arborio rice
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring broth to simmer and keep warm.
2. Coat a medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Melt butter or margarine, add onion or shallots and cook until soft and translucent. Add in rice and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the pot at a time. Stir after each addition and allow to completely absorb before adding more broth. Continue to add broth 1/2 cup at a time until all broth has been used. Will take about 20 minutes. When rice is creamy and done (slightly chewy and not mushy) remove pot from heat and add in chese. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.

This is so creamy and comforting, but yet does not have a lot of fat to make it that way. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment