Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chocolate Wafer Cookies

We had my sister, her boyfriend, and kids over for dinner tonight. I decided to have a ice cream sundae bar for dessert. Basically I bought low fat vanilla frozen yogurt and then put out different topping so everyone could make the sundae of their dreams. I put out marshmallows, chocolate chips, maraschino cherries, cool whip, toasted coconut, pecans, strawberries, bananas. I wanted to have Oreos crushed up, but didn't want an entire package of Oreos in the house. I decided I would make the cookies at home, but then thought I didn't really need the center filling. I found this recipe for chocolate wafer cookies and decided to try it. DELICIOUS! I think I ate almost all of them myself. You could use them like I did- as an ice cream topping. You could also make ice cream sandwiches with these cookies. If you wanted to make the cream filling, you could also make homemade Oreos. You could just enjoy them plain, you could dip them in chocolate, mix in some mint and have mint chocolate cookies, the possibilities are endless.
The original recipe is from Smitten Kitchen

Chocolate Wafer Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
14 Tbsp unsalted butter, slightly softened
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a food processor, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Pulse until mixed thoroughly.

2. Cut butter into 12 pieces and add them to the flour mixture in the food processor. Pulse a few times. With the processor running, add the milk and vanilla extract. Process until the mixture clumps. Transfer to large bowl and knead until evenly blended. NOTE- I found mine appeared powdery and never clumped, I put it in a larger bowl and kneaded it and it came together.

3. Form the dough into a log and wrap in foil. Refrigerate until firm.

4. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cut the dough into 1/4 inch thick coins. Place the cookies on cookie sheet. Bake at 350F approx 6 minutes, rotate the pans and bake another 6-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment