Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chicken Souvlaki

I have been craving Greek food for a while. Since the hubby doesn't like it, I decided to make a grilled (Greek seasoned) chicken breast so he could eat it plain, and I could make it more authentic with tzatiki sauce, greek salad, etc.
My bestie Christine and I used to go to the Sponge Docks and go to the restaurant dubbed "The Greek answer to McDonalds" and get the Chicken Souvlaki platter. From that time I have been hooked! So good!!

Chicken Souvlaki

1 lb boness, skinless chicken breasts (you can cut into bite sized pieces to skewer to make a kabob, but I cooked mine whole- I think I prefer the kabobs though)
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves minced
1-2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 cup plain yogurt
Tzatziki sauce (see below)

1. Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl (or gallon ziploc), mix well. Add in chicken. Make sure chicken get coated with marinade. Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
2. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard marinade. If using bite sized pieces, thread on skewers. Cook on grill (I used my cast iron grill pan) until cooked through.
3. You can serve this in a pita with Tzatziki sauce, tomato, and onion. I had mine with yellow rice and a Greek salad.

Tzatziki sauce

1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used low fat, but the zero fat Greek yogurt is the best)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1-2 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt, pepper to taste

1. Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment